Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Friends

I am mostly melancholy, but I have enough phlegmatic in me that makes making friends difficult. Making friends with a sanguine is easy (have no clue what the heck I'm talking about? Check out the amazing book called Personality Plus Plus  http://www.amazon.com/Personality-Plus-Understand-Understanding-Yourself/dp/080075445X ). When we moved, actually when we got married my friendships became harder to maintain and I had to figure out how to be a wife and a friend, and very soon after, a mother as well. It was/is a lot to figure out. And lately, I have just plain missed my friends. I miss having "I Love Lucy" movie nights, having gobs of people over for movies and games, having bonfires with friends, having heart to hear talks with friends, talking to each other about what God is doing in each other's lives. I miss the godly encouragement from intimate friendships. It is harder now. I have to make a point of emailing these friends or shooting a text to see how they are doing, but it isn't the same as face time. I'm not going to lie, I start to feel sorry for myself sometimes too. I wish I had some friends down here. It is a truly selfish attitude. Instead of longing for friends, I should go out and make friends. It is more difficult and definitely doesn't come easy to me. I enjoy having people over and making them something to eat while John does the social thing. I enjoy the company immensely, but am not the greatest hostess, so I love having John by my side to take up that part.

I need to try harder to go out and build relationships with people. There may be others out there who are lonely like me as well. Do any of you struggle with this or have at one time? What are some things you have done to fix it? Please feel free to comment below. :)

1 comment:

  1. Maintaining a friendship is as much on the friend as it is on you. I love my friends as much as I do my family. To me there is no difference between friends and family. (I would drive 3 hours in a blizzard for a friend just as I would for a family member) Is it hard not seeing them? Absolutely! It is a part of life, a part of having your own family. Just make the times that you do see them that much more.

    ReplyDelete