Pages

Friday, January 12, 2018

Nose Ring Girl and Angry Cashier



I've often worried that the repetitious prayers I pray (not as consistently as I should) before naps and bedtime are just that, too repetitious. It is often the same things over and over but it is this way because those are things that are really on my heart. Three of the biggest things I pray with them are:

1)They would love God with their whole heart (because I believe if they do, all else will follow)
2)That God would help them obey and convict them when they are tempted or chose to disobey and sin.
3) That we would be a good example and tell our friends about Jesus.

During nap time, Levi and I went shopping. At one store, the cashier had a lip ring which Levi must have never seen or noticed before (he's 6 by the way). He blantantly and loudly asked me "Mom, what on her lip?!" Ha, kids are pretty blunt and honest. So instead of making it more awkward for her and myself, I just simply told him that it was called a lip ring and some ladies get them just like I have earrings....but for your lip. He then asked her, "Do you go home when it gets dark?" She told him that she did. He said "oh, we don't. We go to church at night." (Me trying partly to explain but also so she didn't feel too awkward about the situation, clarified that yes one day a week, we go to night church when it's dark) She told him that it sounds like he goes to church a lot and that was a very good thing.

When we got back into the car I brought it up and asked him about telling her about us going to church. I asked him if he remembers about how we pray for God to give us wisdom and strength to tell our friends about Jesus and told him that him telling her that we go to church was a really simple way to do so. It wasn't long. It wasn't the gospel. But it was something pressing on his heart and he wanted to share that. It's in those seemingly unimportant conversations that seeds are planted in simple ways.

Later, I went out by myself and encountered some of the worst service at a store I think I've ever received. It was so bad, I cried when I got to my car. The cashier was just plain mean and spiteful. I finished my shopping and got in line. Not paying attention I got in a line that wasn't open. She retorted that I was in the wrong line, it was clearly the line with the only light on that was open. Thinking she was joking, I laughed and said oh yeah I see that now. Thanks! Moving over to her line, she made another remark to me then when I went to go pay, she was angry at the way I was paying (using larger bills to break them when she saw I had the exact amount in my wallet). She very loudly without technically yelling, said "Oh so you're just going to take some of my bills then huh?! Sure Whatever" (There were other things done as well but there is no reason to retell everything)

I made sure to look at the receipt to look at the checkout number and time and looked at her name tag. My intentions were to call a manager and file a complaint. As I was about to walk about the door, starting to fume, I was convicted. Levi was able to witness in a small way to the cashier, how much more should I be a good example to this person who could be having just a rotten day. I don't know what had just happened to her, but most people don't just spout out hate to others for no reason. So I stopped myself, took a deep breathe, and said "Jen, I pray your evening gets better for you." It wasn't much and now I can think of a much more encouraging phrase to use, but I was still angry and even that was hard to get out, but I had to muscle past my pride and do so. I still went out to the car and cried and I still wanted to call a manager and complain because that is no way to treat a customer, but then I was convicted again. God sees all. And how deceitful to tell her I hope her evening gets better, then immediately call and complain about her. So I prayed for her and let it be. I don't know her story or what could have happened right before that moment.

My 6-year-old was an encouragement to me and an example. And I am thankful. :)

Also, I have written this whole blog post with a sock on my hand.......Just because I know that sounds crazy (and it was really challenging to type!) I am having issues with my skin cracking and splitting open in the worse spots (my entire ring finger and now onto the palm of my hand making it very painful to do things like wash dishes, bend my finger, etc). So, I have a treatment on it, hence the sock to prevent it from getting it everywhere.




No comments:

Post a Comment