Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Cloth Diapering....Do you Dare?!


Welcome to the June 2013 Natural Living Blog Carnival: A Natural Challenge. This post was written for inclusion in the monthly Natural Living Blog Carnival hosted by Happy Mothering and The Pistachio Project through the Green Moms Network. This month, our members took 1-2 weeks to explore a natural practice that they had yet to try. Today, they're going to tell you about their experience! Hopefully, you'll find some inspiration to try something new on one or more of the posts.
—–


I have been cloth diapering for almost two years now, but only off and on. I received a bunch of cloth diapers as a baby shower gift and boy was it a blessing! I received them from a great friend who is a cloth diapering pro of three young boys (her latest is only 2 weeks old!). I started researching when I was pregnant with my first and couldn't wait to begin. After looking into it and receiving a lot of disposable diapers at my showers, we decided to use disposable diapers with the newborn until the poop firmed up a bit. Honestly I am glad we did.
The diapers we were given lasted us a long time, so we really didn't have to worry about buying anymore. And, as much as I believe we need to take care of the environment that God has blessed us with, that is not why I am using cloth diapers. I am doing it because it's better for my babies and it is so much cheaper!! Plus, our first son was very small (5.14) when he was born, and I got one size so his tiny legs wouldn't have fit and we got lots of leakage when I first tried. Also, we have lived and still live in an apartment with coin laundry, so I figured out the cost and it ended up being the same to just buy disposable, so for convenience sake, I decided to do that for a while. Then, when money was tight, I started hand washing the cloth diapers in the bathtub using a toilet plunger. It worked, but WAS work. lol So, those are the reasons we waited.

Well, I am now pregnant with our second child (20 weeks as of yesterday!! Though possibly as far along as 22 weeks according to the ultrasound which would be fantastic!). I have been looking into cloth diapering from a newborn. One of the biggest things I'd like to invest in is a sprayer. My husband also bought me a huge blessing of a Wonder Washer (it's a two-gallon portable washing machine. It works amazing). I would like to at least try it when our baby is born. If it works, wonderful. If not, no guilt in using disposables. :) I have been using cloth diapers full time with my son now who is 17 months and have been for quite some time. I only use disposable when we go on long trips and that is mainly my husband's preference. I don't mind using cloth when traveling. We will see how cloth diapering a newborn goes, but I am loving using them for my first. So cheap and no running out to the store when you are out and have forgotten about it. It's great!!

Have you ever used cloth diapers or are thinking about it? What do you think? 

—–
Visit Happy Mothering and The Pistachio Project to learn more about participating in next month’s Natural Living Blog Carnival! Please take some time to enjoy the posts our other carnival participants have contributed:

No comments:

Post a Comment