Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2015

When God Works in Your Children's Heart, It is oh So Sweet


Ah nap time. Boy it can be a joyful time, but it can also be a "sanctifying time."
Even with consistency in your routine (and discipline) sometimes it isn't the smoothest sailing. I noticed a pattern in Levi lately where he has been not listening when I clearly tell him that he must be quiet and rest, not play with Jahs, and not stand in bed. We discuss this each time he goes to sleep (he shares a room with his younger brothers); I try to explain to him that he has to set a good example, be a good leader (something I am trying to start teaching him lately), and respect his brother's need for sleep. He has gotten the "jest" of the conversation and now repeats almost word for word my nap time mantra. So, I know he gets it at least. Well, I have not been following through with my discipline lately when he disobeys. Anywho, today I did, but I did not do it out of frustration or anger that my idol quiet time was being disturbed. I went in with a calm heart and asked him if he realized why he was being spanked. He said yes and clearly explained what he had done. After I spanked him, I told him that I love him, but that he needs to obey mommy. He then said something about obeying God. Shocked I told him that yes, he must obey God and that through obeying mommy, he was obeying God. Then he asked if we could ask God to help him obey. Again, I was shocked! I said of course, and we prayed together. We first thanked God for sending Jesus to die on the cross for our sins. We acknowledged that it is so hard to obey and that we are sinners, but that Jesus died on the cross to free us from the bondage of sin. (I said all of this in "preschool" language lol) We then asked God to send the Holy Spirit to convict us and help us to obey. Then I told him that even when mommy isn't there to pray, he can pray to God himself, especially when he is struggling to obey.

Oh how sweet proper and loving discipline is. How sweet to see God working in your child's heart. Seeing God at work is an awesome thing! It is also a reminder to me to cry out to God when I am struggling and that I should go to Him. He is there for us. AND it is a reminder to me that I need to make sure my heart is right when I discipline. Righteous and humble discipline is fertile soil for growth and to shine Christ's light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment