Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

Do Not Grow Weary in Well Doing

First, I apologize, I have not been keeping up with my blog like I would have hoped. I could name all sorts of excuses, but it honestly just boils down to time management issues. My hopes or rather my goal is to write at LEAST one blog post a week. I really want to write more, but right now I think that is a realistic goal and if more posts get written, wonderful!

Anywho, so I have been reading a lot about parenting the past few weeks. I am delving into “The Faithful Parent” by Stuart Scott and Martha Peace and also reading from the blog GirlTalk on all their parenting posts. Let me say, both of these resources have been such a huge, huge comfort to me. This toddler stage has been trying for me. My husband on the other hand, loves it. He does great and is savoring it. For me, I am struggling with all the energy, noises, testing, and mainly with how do I preach the gospel to myself and to my toddler? This has been such a daunting task for me. I have been thinking it has to be so complicated and elaborate, but as have been reading from “The Faithful Parent” I was reminded that our goal as parents is not to be perfect, but to be faithful; we are called to be faithful to God and to His word. That should be my biggest goal. How “Un-complicated” is that? Is it always easy? No, but it sure isn’t complicated! Me and my silly woman brain wanting to make things harder than they need to be.

In the blog posts I have been reading, one other theme kept coming up, obiedience in the gateway to the gospel. I feel like right now I am just managing my little one. There are no heart to hearts, no explaining that He is in need of a Savior just barely over 4 word sentences that manage. But I was reminded that this is crucial. He needs to learn to obey. This will begin the process of opening the gateway of his heart for the gospel. He will sin, I do every day. He will fail, I do every day. But in this failing and sinning we are pointed back to the cross. We are reminded of the gospel. What I am doing now is laying a foundation for more “crucial” stuff later on.

God is sovereign. On days where we sit at the table for over an hour working on obeying mommy and daddy and swallowing our food (and boy do we rejoice when that food is swallowed despite the tears and frustrations and sinning that happened just moments earlier....by both of us), or days where there is testing to see if I am going to be consistent in my discipline, or when there is the never seeming to end whining, I can know that these are opportunities for me to rejoice and realize I am laying a foundation. “Obedience is the gateway to the gospel.”

My new life verse for this season (one I wouldn’t mind incorporating into a tattoo somehow as a reminder like my 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 one) is Galatians 6:9 “And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap if we do not give up.” (Emphasis added.)

I would implore you to do a few things my friend if you feel as if you are growing weary of well doing. First, run to God. Second, meditate on this verse. Post it all over as a reminder. Third, check out this wonderful treasure of a book. It is short and sweet and offers wonderfully practical advice on specifics of what to do with each age. And lastly, check out the girl talk blog under the children/parenting category. And now I must go, my toddler woke up from his nap.....crying very grouchy like. :P “Do not grow weary”

No comments:

Post a Comment