Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Only Momentary

I have been reading an AMAZING book called “This Momentary Marriage” by John Piper. This book has been so enlightening and helpful. Probably one of THE best marriage books I’ve read.

It has brought me to tears and has really helped me realize that this marriage of mine is only temporary. It is to show the world what greater things are to come. It is to be a great marriage showing others an example of the gospel and leave them longing for the things of Above.



While it has been encouraging and lovely, it has brought me to tears because John and I only have each other on this earth. Once one of us dies (and we don’t know when our Sovereign Lord will call us home), our marriage is over. It is but for a moment.

This amazing book has helped me to see that I need to embrace, enjoy, and rejoice in every moment I have with John. I need to be thankful to God for blessing me with him. It has helped me when I get offended, hurt, or resentful. I am gently reminded that this is only a temporary marriage. Make the most of it. Bring glory to God. That is what marriage is for.

Now I was hesitant on writing this blog post because what I am writing about, I fail at day in and day out. In fact, I allowed us to get into a tiff just last night. I was again reminded that this is only a temporary marriage. I am allowing minutes and hours to just vanish. Allowing them to be dishonoring to God and just futiles hours. I didn’t care. I was mad and hurt. At that moment, even though it is dreadful to think about how hateful I was being, I just thought so what I don’t care that this is only a momentary marriage, I am mad! I let that go on for an evening. Sadly, we did go to bed angry. We often do. That is probably one of the hardest things NOT to do for me. I want to sulk. I need to place that verse above our bed again that states “do not let the sun go down on your anger” Ephesians 4:26.

But this book has helped me to keep this in perspective. I am still a dreadful sinner in need of grace each and every day. I fail so many times. I am thankful that God sent His Son to die for me on the cross and take away these horrific sins of mine. (another great book that talks about this is “The Transforming Power of the Gospel” by Jerry Bridges)

Let us remember what marriage was created for. Let us remember that this is truly just a momentary marriage. Let us embrace our spouses and praise God for them. And when things are hard, remember, this is momentary. You don’t know when this will end. It could be years from now, it could be tomorrow. Only God knows. Let’s embrace the time we’ve been given and not waste it.

Here is a link to check the book out on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/This-Momentary-Marriage-Parable-Permanence/dp/1433507129

No comments:

Post a Comment